Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Yay or Nay to Online Schooling for K-12


An emerging trend in education that has blossomed in Higher Education and is taking deeper roots in k-12 education is online learning. More and more subjects are being offered online especially for high schoolers. In some school districts across the nation, high school students are getting the option to take most if not all of their four years of high school online. A modern day educator would probably say that this is something innovative and makes complete sense. Let’s face it our world is changing and everything is becoming more embedded with electronic technology and online components.  It’s only inevitable that the way we are schooling our children should be online so that they can keep up with the evolving world around us.

photo from Edvisors Education Blog
According to In the Dark About Online High School? Here's Your Light... by Teresa Hall, there are many pros to online learning. Her supporting argument ranges from how interactive, rigors, and academic sound online courses are in comparison to traditional face-to-face learning. “Actually, online education from an accredited high school program provides the same level of academic teaching as traditional schools. Using discussion boards and chat rooms, students and teachers participate in discussions, sometime they even meet in person” (Hall, 2012).  

I completely understand Teresa Hall’s argument but I must admit that I’m somewhat skeptical of online learning for k-12 students. This may sound like a contradiction, because I’m currently in an online class and a great amount of my graduate courses were through online learning. However I think the learning level, the capability, and expectation of college students are much more different to a point more advance than that of middle or high school students. At the college level the majority of our leaning theoretically comes from us being more self-driven, being self-taught, and being able to breakdown information in our own ways to gain a greater understanding of the subject. Middle and high schoolers are still very much going through the mid-stages of Piaget’s cognitive development level.  This to me means that the majority of middle and high school students are still in need of more guidance and direct interaction with teachers, peers and/or knowledgeable adults.  

Now I understand that some students have proven to be academically advance beyond the socially defined grade-levels and there are other students that are likely to learn better through the online approach. I’m cool with these types of students exploring the online learning and having it available to them in various subjects. 

photo from laureateschool.com
However my skepticism on the pros of online classes for middle and high schoolers comes into play from my personal experience with online learning while in high school back in 2005. That year I took 2 classes online; English 4 and Personal Fitness. Both were required courses for graduation. Yes these two courses’ curriculum standards were very similar to most of my face-to-face high school classes. The learning activities, projects, assignments and exams were practically the same as it would have been in traditional face-to-face classes. However the only difference is that there were no definite way of telling who was actually doing the work, a teacher being present and available as it would be in a traditional classroom setting, and I wasn’t able to gain as much from online discussion as I would have from in-class discussion. I know for a fact that most of us in the online physical fitness class were able to cut a lot of corners to get by and still manage to receive a passing grade. 

I’m sure that overtime online course developers  will continue to do adequate research to improve the quality and ensure the integrity of online courses. However based on my high school experience and to a certain extent my college online courses, I still somewhat find online learning to be another reflection of how our society has become so distant from personal interaction to becoming more of a fast-pace, microwaving society that at times are willing to trade in quality  for convenience. Nontraditional schooling like online learning is no longer a thing of the future. I understand it’s here and most likely will become the norm sooner than expected. Nevertheless I must stress how extremely important it is to continue to account for the various vital skills and concepts that we do gain from having a face-to-face interaction learning process as we continue to emerge nontraditional schooling methods into the mainstream. 


Links
Teresa Hall's article: http://www.collegebound.net/highschoolalternatives/article/in-the-dark-about-online-high-school-heres-your-light/8757/

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Taking online courses in college, or for graduate school, is a totally different experience. I think that it works well for certain younger populations, like children who have high expectations for themselves, and who are self motivated. However, the students that I work with have a strong distaste for the online programs they have tried. They do better with personal instruction. If the online program had a teacher involved, they were overwhelmed with the amount of work they were required to do unsupervised. if it was a program where they tested through the material, they would find ways to skip the course, take and fail the test only to see the correct answers, and then retake the test. Unfortunately, they do not seem to benefit from it like we do. Perhaps if it were more social. I do think it is important to have students proficient in computers and some online courses, but nothing replaces caring face to face time with a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe online classes are definitely here to stay. Our classes and schools are overcrowded to the point where we are cramming students into our rooms. Online classes help to eliminate this problem for the school district. They still receive the funding because the students are still enrolled in public school but they are working from home so they do not take up physical space. I am pretty familiar with the K12 program. I know the students still have a “teacher” that is available to answer questions and they have their own text books at home. My students in class were sharing text books! While I do not believe students should enroll in an online program just to help our overcrowding problems I believe that online learning is best for some students.

    I do agree with you that sometimes students are able to cut more corners when they are working from home concerning projects and papers. When I sent projects home for my students to do I knew that parents were doing a great deal of them though. We can all tell what project is done by the parent and what projects are done by the students.

    While I do agree that online learning may not be best for everyone
    I feel that a lot of students benefit more from online learning. Online learning allows students to work partially on their own schedule and contact their teacher with questions. Sometimes this is easier then working with a face to face classroom teacher that you only get to see for 55 minutes a day and that includes taking attendance and disciplining unruly students

    While I may not completely agree with you I believe you raised many good points! People have very strong opinions about online schooling. I defiantly feel before a student signs up for online classes they need to really research it and see if it is for them! Thanks for the great blog topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand what you are saying, some parents want their children to be taught via-online they don't want their children to interact with other students, I still can't wrap my head around that logic, I feel that at the early and even high school level students need that interaction face to face and have a connection with other students. Keeping them on the computer all the time makes me wonder what kind of person will they grow up to be, not all children but some can't handle the real world when they are strictly online kids. Although I do understand the gifted students need more stimulation but in those cases do a combination of both maybe, I don't have all the answers but I do know having too much online and little to no face to face interaction is not the way to go.

    Very nice post!

    Tonga Ramseur

    ReplyDelete