Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

My Progress on Creating a wiki page

I'm in the process of updating my wiki curriculum page through pbwork and I wanted to reflect a little bit on my progress.

First off my project topic is on the Harlem Renaissance and how African-Americans were able creatively capture, narrate, and expose historical events during the early half of the 20th century through their poetry, artwork, speeches and music. This is a fascinating era of American history because it further exemplifies the cultural richness and contributions of African Americans and how they were able to survive Jim Crow South, the Industrial Revolution, Urbanization, the Great Depression, etc...

The actual project that I'm working on is creating a wiki page as if I was an actual teacher that's creating a curriculum page for my students to use to complete a project on the Harlem Renaissance. I'm really enjoying this process on learning and using new innovative methods to better reach my future students.

 *** sidebar
Before this EME5050 class at UCF, I've never heard of wiki pages or teachers creating curriculum pages for various assignments. I've taken a great amount of online classes and even through those classes this type of innovation were never mentioned.***

At first I had some frustration with using pbworks because some of the features weren't available for the free version. I was struck with a plain color background template and I couldn't reorganized my multiply pages under my navigator panel. Besides those setbacks, everything else was easy to maneuver and figure out. I was also able to create for the first time my own original YouTube video. The video is my example of the type of digital storytelling I want my students to create for this project assignment. I must admit that creating this video took a lot of patience and I had to refer to Google search to figure out how to actually turn my PowerPoint slides into images that can be imported into Windows movie maker then converted to YouTube format. 





To see my progress check out the following link to my wiki page.   http://rneish.pbworks.com/w/page/52015931/Curriculum%20Page

Please watch and leave me feedback on my 1st YouTube video and about my wiki page. 





1 comment:

  1. Your curriculum page looks great! It made me re-think about mine and adding a LOT more stuff to it. You mention in your post that you never heard about wikipages, I hadn't either until my last undergrad semester at UCF where two of my professors used them constantly. We also had to create a wiki page but I was never in charge of it so when we were told that our assignment would be to create one, I was a bit skeptical at first but turns out I figured things out as I went along.

    ReplyDelete