Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

I got a Feeling Somebody's WATCHING me...

Picture from Rainbow Skills.com
So I was browsing through YouTube the other day and I saw this recent viral video about a group of New Jersey teachers bullying a 10 years old autistic student. The actual video is of the father telling viewers about his discovery of how his child was being bullied and traumatized by these extremely unprofessional educators.

This story made me think about if cameras should be in the classroom. Some would say yes because it can be used to monitor teachers and students, teachers can refer back to video recording for training and instructional improvements and it can be a big discourager for students not to misbehave. Others may see it as an intrusive big brother system, a distraction, and another way to devalue teachers and their ability to handle their classroom.

One of my professors was telling me that cameras in the classroom is a reality for some school districts and the way things are going they might become a sooner reality  for my future classroom.  I can see the argument from both sides but I tend to lean to the side that says no to classroom surveillance. Yes stories like the one about the New Jersey teachers and the constant reports about violence in the classroom would make you think that our classrooms are in jeopardy and cameras are needed to save us all. 

Picture from Rainbow Skills.com
Yet again that is why schools are to be looked at as a collective community that trusts and relays on each other to provide safety and quality education to your pupils. I feel like classrooms are really not that bad to the point that everything needs to be monitored. The few bad apples (bad incidents) should not be used as a rational to infringe on the autonomy of teachers and the sanity of the classroom. If administrators wanted to know what’s going on in the classroom, the traditional way of stopping by and being present will give them a much better picture than that of a surveillance monitor.

News article on the New Jersey teachers bullying an autistic student.

Some external links on the discussion
Commentary By John Stossel  What's Wrong With Cameras in the Classroom

Cameras in the classroom: Should we film teachers at work?

5 comments:

  1. I have thought about this question several times before also. Should there be cameras in the classroom or not? I tend to lean more on the side of no. I don't think teachers should have to stress about being watched all the time. I know from experience that when I am being observed I am so much more stressed and worried about what they think that it doesn't go as well as it could. I am much more comfortable when there is not somebody watching me. Therefore a camera in the room would not be ideal for me. I would much rather have administrators stop by my room anytime to see what was going on.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the FCAT has inhibited teacher creativity because of the focus on some authority figure's "assessement," I hate to think of how having a camera in the classroom will inhibit a teacher's ability to build authentic learning relationships with students, particularly in a litigious society where everything is open to judgment. While the camera does not lie, the interpretation of the recorded events would be extremely skewed based on the historical filter through which the viewer is relating the events. Administrators need to be visiting classrooms and supporting teachers as well as students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the video as well. I know that some districts have cameras installed, and most don't. I do know that our district keeps a close watch on student computers, and what students are typing and searching. I have even seen local preschools that offer cameras in all of the preschool rooms. It could either be for a caring parent to watch her little one during the day, or to make sure teachers are behaving. Personally, I don't think I would want to work in a classroom where big brother is watching at every moment. Teacher should have control of students, and if a fight does break out in class, more than likely students will be filming it with their phones. From the standpoint that teachers need to be monitored, I agree. But I think that school administrators should be visiting the classes on a regular basis, getting to know their staff and students. This way, if an issue does arise, the administrators will know who to believe. If there were frequent staff trainings, administrators could encourage teachers not to act like that. And, if there are teachers doing such horrible things, administrators would have weeded them out before any harm could have been done. I agree with Cynthia and Tiffany on this one. Also, if students could anonymously evaluate their teachers on a regular basis, say on a computer in the office, media center, or even in the room, they would feel more empowered to state their concerns without fear of direct retribution from the teacher. Technology can be a great way for students to communicate with teachers and administrators about their class experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am feeling the same way no camera's in the classroom. Although I do understand why some classes need them. Maybe if there are reports about the class being violent or whatever the class could then go on the camera watch. That way it can be monitored for that kind of activity. I really like the post and it is something to think about we may be going in that direction, maybe even the whole school including hallways and offices.

    Tonga Ramseur

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this the one of the student in a wheel chair where the parents planted a camera in the inside of his pocket? I heard about this story at work by one of the preschool teachers and was appalled. I can't believe educators would dare to treat someone so unfairly, not only can they not fight back but it's not right since we as educators are supposed to be protecting our students/

    ReplyDelete